Ships’ Waste Management

The Port of Southampton has a Waste Management Plan servicing the requirements of ship-generated waste for common user berths.

Please note that privately operated terminals, such as the DPWS container terminal, the Itchen wharves and the Esso and BP Terminals, have their own in-house waste management plans. Please do not follow the procedures identified below if you are visiting these locations - contact the terminal/wharf operator for further information.

Prior Notification of Waste to be Landed
Ships (or agents acting on their behalf) must advise ABP up to 24 hours in advance of arrival on the amount of waste they intend to land by logging onto and filling in the online waste form for the Port of Southampton. THIS IS A LEGAL REQUIREMENT and ABP is obliged to report vessels that do not complete the form to the Maritime and Coastguard Agency.

Waste Streams

ABP provides waste facilities at fixed locations around the Port estate. The facilities are for galley waste and general rubbish from crews' quarters only. Any other waste streams, including International Catering Waste, paint, solvents, electrical items, rope, timber and gas cylinders must NOT be placed in the skips. These items must be disposed correctly via a licensed waste contractor - see below.

International Catering Waste

International Catering Waste Only vessels which have made a Declaration to the Animal and Plant Health Agency that all stores have been completely emptied, cleaned, disinfected and restocked following the last international voyage will be able to land galley waste into general garbage facilities with other domestic waste. A copy of the Declaration can be downloaded here. Details of where to send the Declaration are included on the form. Food waste and its packaging that originates from outside the European Union is referred to as International Catering Waste must be brought ashore in sealed, leak proof bags and deposited in appropriate facilities arranged directly with the waste contractor for which an additional charge will apply.

A list of waste management companies, which are approved to work in ABP Southampton, is listed below:

Veolia Environmental Services, Marchwood Industrial Park, SO40 4PB. Tel: 023 8042 7100

Biffa Waste Services: Marchwood Industrial Park, SO40 4PB. Tel: 023 8066 7140

Cleansing Service Group, Botley, Southampton, SO30 2GD. Tel: 01489 782 232


Mandatory Discharge of Waste

Unless granted an MCA exemption certificate or able to prove that they have sufficient on-board storage space for wastes, ALL VESSELS must unload ALL their waste when in port. If this exceeds 4m3 of garbage, ships will have to arrange disposal of the extra waste with an appropriate waste contractor - see above.

Failure to Comply

It is a legal requirement for vessels to comply with the Merchant Shipping (Port Waste Reception Facilities) Regulations 2003. The main requirements of the Regulations include:

  • The prior notification, up to 24 hours in advance of arrival, of the amounts of waste to be landed;
  • The mandatory discharge of waste carried (unless sufficient storage is available on board) , and
  • The payment of a mandatory waste fee to cover a significant proportion of the costs involved in waste management.

If ABP becomes aware that a vessel has not complied with these actions, it will report the ship to the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA), which is the regulating body for the Regulations in the UK. Such vessels may then be targeted by MCA for inspection and onward destination ports/terminals will be warned of their non-compliance. Vessels that fail to comply with the requirements shall be guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction to a fine as provided for in the 2003 Regulations.

Complaints Procedure

If ABP’s waste reception provision is considered to be unsatisfactory, the Master should bring the matter to ABP’s attention immediately. Complaints should be addressed to the Operations Department, contactable at If the problem is not resolved to his satisfaction, the Master should complete the complaints form in the MCA’s Marine Guidance Note (MGN 563), either directly or through the shipowner, flag state or agent, and send it to the MCA at the following address:

PWR Inadequacies
Maritime and Coastguard Agency
Spring Place
105 Commercial Road
SO15 1EG

The Master should provide full information about the incident including time and date, a full account of the inadequacy and the action taken by the port/terminal after the inadequacy was brought to their attention.